Saudi Child Saved After Swallowing Batter

Surgeons in Bisha (southern Saudi Arabia) succeeded in saving a child’s life after swallowing a battery.

Saudi Health reported that the child was brought to Bisha Maternity and Children’s Hospital suffering swallowing and breathing difficulties.

After conducting clinical and radiological examinations, a battery was shown to be stuck in the esophagus. The patient was immediately taken into the operating room where the battery was successfully extracted laparoscopically without any complications.

According to the medical team, these operations are conducted with extreme caution due to the risk of battery explosions inside the cavity, which can result in chemical burns and could sometimes be fatal.